Saturday, March 1, 2014

SoL March 1 - The Happy Place

The sharp scent of freshly cut lumber, together with the grit of sawdust in my teeth has the power to send me back in time... to a sweet place in my childhood: to construction job sites with my dad during his days as a builder. As a child, and even as a young adult, I often accompanied Dad to his so-called "happy place" on a Saturday morning. It usually involved a coffee break and always included a stop at the hardware store. Sometimes it was a trip with purpose and a very specific list. Other times, the purpose was simply the trip itself; the delight of time spent together while exploring the myriad of wonders that each new department held, day-dreaming of kitchen renovations and bathroom remodels and back-yard sanctuaries.

Walking, ahem, okay, make that waddling, into Lowe's this morning was no different. I was thrilled to have Dad (and Mom) and the little man along with me. We unloaded ourselves from the minivan and made our way to the paint aisle by way of the lumber entrance. The smell of it made me smile and wink at my dad, knowing that he was thinking the same thing I was: how fun it was to be here together this morning! 

 As we entered that delightful haven of DIY daydreams, a delicate aroma of excitement, ambition, and, just a tidge of fear, tickled my fancy. Should we really be tackling one more project right now?  I knew exactly what we needed; my hubby had sent us simply to pick up paint for Baby Girl's room. But waddling (really, it feels like I'm carrying a bowling ball in my front sweatshirt pocket) across the entire store with my sweet entourage, made me think of all the things we needed to finish the projects that we've already started: the metal inserts for the closet in the boys' room, blinds for the baby's room, and extra rollers, among many more things.  "I should probably just get them... since I'm here, now, and 37 weeks pregnant," I mused, wondering if the hubby would agree, or if he'd be disappointed at not being along for the adventure.

As Mom and I waited for the blue-vested employee to conjure the Valspar paint+primer concoction,"Shaken, Not Stirred," I started watching the other people walking around the store.  Some walked purposefully, as if they knew exactly what they were looking for and where to find it; and others, simply meandered with coffee and whispered ideas amongst themselves. It had never really occurred to me that other people thought of Lowe's as their happy place, but I'm glad they seemed to be enjoying it. I wondered about the projects people were working on in their own homes. Are they just starting or are they weeks into it? Was it a project I'd like? Do they know what they're doing? Not everyone grew up as a carpenter's daughter, you know. And, I started to feel even more blessed, for all those visits with Dad in years gone by and this morning.

Meanwhile, Jack and his "Pa" went off to the garden section, where Dad allowed him to climb on and off every single riding mower and tractor that Lowe's had for sale. What delight Dad took in watching him try to scramble up the slippery, green and yellow metal forms! I think it made Dad even more happy to hear the narration that Jack provided as he attempted each climb...

         "This one. New one. Oopsy-daisies. Climb up! Good job, Jack!" (He was absolutely praising his own efforts. No worries about self-esteem for this kid.) 

The look of satisfaction and pride that my little man wore when I finally made it over to him said it all. He was totally enjoying himself; both the activity of the morning, and the company he kept, delighted him. My heart swelled just a little bit more as Dad wheeled him around the store, pointing out different types of tools and supplies and paraphernalia, asking Jack to repeat each new word.  Repeat he did and peals of laughter followed after each high-five and fist bump. People started looking at the two of them, smiling their knowing smiles at grandfather and grandson enjoying sweet moments together. "This is definitely my happy place, too," I whispered to the baby. 






No comments:

Post a Comment